Early Saturday morning Petey and I drove up to the Ranch with tool kit in hand ready to address the issues with the Oliver 880. Last weekend. I spent a full day beating my head against the wall trying to get the tractor up and running. She would fire up and run, then, the next try…no go. No logic; no reason.
I couldn’t quite figure it out. I’ve pulled the distributor cover many times and noticed a rotor and thought…no points. Which of course makes no sense for a tractor that is 50 or 60 years old. There was no such thing as electronic ignition in the 1960s. Finally, this week I figured out there is a plastic cover under the rotor and under this cover there are points and a condenser.
So, we were off, we pulled the distributor cover, pulled the rotor, pulled the plastic piece under the rotor which revealed points and a condenser. A little sand paper, a shot of WD-40, and Oliver was up and running.
Since this project went so smoothly, Petey started taking things apart and pulled the water pump which has been leaking for while. This week, I will find a new gasket and pick up some fluids. That way, next time out, we will have Oliver finely tuned and running like she is brand new.
The reason Oliver has been so stubborn lately.
Working on a few small projects. Here we are trimming out the window.
Petey’s favorite coffee cup!
The Oliver with radiator, fan, belts, and water pump removed.